HIMSS Analytics has announced the latest list of hospitals to reach “Stage 6” of EHR implementation, and for 2008, 42 hospitals in 24 organizations make the cut. That is only 0.5 percent of all non-federal hospitals in the U.S., up from 0.3 a year earlier.
Additionally, 15 hospitals, or 0.3 percent of the national total, achieved Stage 7, the highest level of the scale, but HIMSS Analytics has not made those names public. All those in Stage 6 or 7 will be honored at an April 6 awards ceremony.
Stage 6 of the HIMSS Analytics EMR Adoption Model means hospitals are almost fully paperless, with electronic physician documentation, full clinical decision support and full picture archiving and communications systems available throughout the enterprise.
The Stage 6 list includes:
1. Midland Memorial Hospital, Midland, Texas
2. Clarian North Medical Center, Carmel, Ind.
3. Newport Hospital (148 Beds), Newport, R.I.
4. NorthShore University HealthSystem (3 hospitals reached Stage 6), Evanston, Ill.
5. Citizens Memorial Healthcare, Bolivar, Mo.
6. Memorial Health University Medical Center, Savannah, Ga.
7. Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center, Baton Rouge, La.
8. St. Clair Memorial Hospital, Pittsburgh
9. St. Agnes Hospital, Baltimore
10 University Health System, San Antonio
11. Carle Foundation Hospital, Urbana, Ill.
12. HCA – Lewis Gale Medical Center, Salem, Va.
13. UC-San Diego Medical Center (2 hospitals), San Diego
14. Vanderbilt University Medical Center (2 hospitals), Nashville, Tenn.
15. SSM Health Care (2 hospitals), St. Louis
16. Watertown Memorial Hospital, Watertown, Wis.
17. UPMC (2 hospitals), Pittsburgh
18. Parkview Adventist Medical Center, Brunswick, Maine
19. Swedish Covenant Hospital, Chicago
20. Sacred Heart Medical Center, Spokane, Wash.
21. Stellaris Health Network (3 hospitals), Armonk, N.Y.
22. Mercy Hospital & Medical Center, Chicago
23. Baystate Medical Center, Springfield, Mass.
24. Kaiser Permanente Health Foundation (11 hospitals), Oakland, Calif.