I was sent the following story today:
Woman killed by pet 13-foot python
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va., Oct. 23 (UPI) — A Virginia Beach woman appears to have been killed by a pet reticulated python while she was trying to give the 13-foot snake medication.
Amanda Ruth Black’s husband found her body Tuesday night when he came home, The Virginian-Pilot reported. She was lying in front of the snake’s empty cage.
Police said the 25-year-old woman died from asphyxiation. They found the python in the bedroom and described it as agitated.
The snake was in the custody of Virginia Beach Animal Control.
The reticulated python, native to Southeast Asia, can grow to be more than 30 feet long and competes with the heavier anaconda of South America for the title of longest snake. Pythons are not venomous and have become popular pets, but experts warn they can be dangerous if they are startled or if not fed correctly.
If that’s not an argument for automating medication administration, I don’t know what is.